Truck Accident Attorney in Winston-Salem
Truck accidents are some of the most devastating crashes that occur in the Winston-Salem area. These accidents often lead to serious injuries or death due to the size and weight of commercial vehicles.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side. At Comerford Chilson & Moser, we have a team of skilled litigators with more than 90 years of combined experience ready to help.
These accidents can be devastating to families, yet the trucking companies often seem to have the advantage in settling any lawsuits because they have experienced lawyers who are adept at minimizing the amount paid to victims.
Many trucking companies have insurance representatives respond to an accident scene immediately to begin building a case that will help them limit their liability.
If you are involved in a commercial truck accident and suffer injuries, schedule an initial consultationwith our firm today. Call (336) 568-8779.
We Work with Specialists to Build Strong Truck Accident Cases
We work with accident reconstruction specialists who recover critical information including the cause of the accident.
This can include:
- Overweight trucks
- Tired drivers
- Reckless driving
Companies are required to adhere to several federal, state, and local laws regarding driver safety and truck maintenance.
Many accidents can be linked to failure to follow these laws. We have extensive experience revealing and holding companies accountable for the numerous causes of truck accidents.
When commercial truck drivers or commercial truck companies are negligent, it can lead to serious or catastrophic injuries to innocent drivers and passengers.
These injuries can have a profound effect on the victim's life, causing immense physical pain and limiting their ability to work and engage in activities they once enjoyed.
These may include:
- Spinal cord injury: The sheer weight of commercial trucks can crush the spine irreversibly, leading to devastating injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury: A traumatic brain injury can have a profound effect on the individual’s ability to control their body, this can lead to a long and grueling medical journey and permanent disabilities.
- Broken bones: Bones are easily broken by a commercial truck that weighs over a ton. This can lead to many fractures and multiple surgeries.
- Burns: Among the most devastating injuries that can result from a truck accident are burns. Burns incurred in a truck accident may be the result of the impact itself or when the vehicle catches on fire, and these injuries often require extensive medical intervention, ongoing surgeries, and severe scarring.
- Disfiguring injuries: This type of injury from a truck accident can leave another driver or passenger permanently disfigured and, even with the most advanced reconstructive surgeries, these injuries are often impossible to fully resolve.
- Severe lacerations: This type of injury from a truck accident may occur when the driver or passenger is thrown out of the vehicle, and these lacerations can lead to serious blood loss and nerve damage.
- Internal organ damage: This type of injury from a truck accident can occur when the force of the impact crushes the body, and this type of damage often requires immediate emergency medical attention.
What important steps should be taken immediately following a truck accident?
The first thing that should be done, of course, is to get medical attention for anyone who is seriously injured. Beyond that, here are some key steps that can help you in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Report the accident to your insurance company
- Provide as many details as possible to police and file an accident report
- Take photos of the accident scene to record important details, including damage to vehicles and other property
- Do not speak with any other insurance company representatives or sign any reports
- Do not make any statements of who was at fault or the extent of your injuries
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney
- See a doctor as soon as possible following an accident
Who can I collect from in a truck accident personal injury lawsuit?
Personal injury lawsuits regarding semi truck accidents can become complex rather quickly. Often, it is possible to name more than one party in a lawsuit. Our experienced truck accident lawyers help victims maximize the amount they recover by naming all responsible parties. This may include:
- The driver of the truck
- The owner of the truck company
- The employer of the driver, which may be different than the truck owner
- The owner of the tractor-trailer, which can be different than the owner of the truck itself
- The manufacturer of the truck, tractor-trailer or any parts of the truck or cab
- A third-party maintenance company
- A municipality that contributed to the accident by creating dangerous road conditions or not properly marking dangerous conditions
What compensation can be recovered following a truck accident?An injured party may seek compensation for immediate and future medical expenses, lost wages, lost future earnings, pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, and other damages. In wrongful death lawsuits, a decedent’s family may seek lost economic contributions, loss of care and companionship, funeral expenses, and other damages.
What laws apply to truck drivers that may play a role in my case?
Federal, state and local laws that apply to commercial trucks and their drivers can play an important role in a personal injury lawsuit. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulates the commercial trucking industry. Laws apply to:
- The number of hours a driver can work in a given period of time
- The training a driver must have completed
- Drug and alcohol use by drivers (significantly lower blood alcohol concentration levels)
- The maintenance schedule of the truck and tractor-trailer
- The weight limit of the truck and its load
Federal regulations also require commercial trucks to carry certain levels of insurance coverage. This protects victims of truck accidents from truck owners or companies stating that they do not have the financial resources to pay damages.
Often, trucking companies will take elaborate steps to place their assets under a different entity in order to avoid paying damages in these cases. We work with forensic accountants and other specialists who are skilled at uncovering a company’s true assets in order to clear the way for our clients to collect the full amount they are owed.
Commercial Vehicle Wreck Resulting in Death
We've been in business for over 20 years and have a proven track record of success. Our team of experienced attorneys have handled every type of case imaginable, and we're not afraid to take a case to trial if necessary.
We're also highly selective in the cases we take on, so you can be confident that we'll give your case the individual attention it deserves. We're proud to say that we get a lot of our business through referrals from satisfied clients.
If you are hoping for the best possible outcome for your case, you need our firm on your side. With over 90 years of cumulative experience, we feel we are the obvious choice for those seeking representation after a serious truck accident.
Our Reputation Speaks For Itself
"During our first meeting, he assured me that he would take this anxiety and responsibility from me. Emotionally, I felt a deep sense of relief that stayed with me during the months he was working for me."- Roberta T.