The senior partner in the firm, Tom Comerford is one of the most successful and experienced trial attorneys in North Carolina. He brings to the firm diligence, skill, and a thorough understanding of many areas of law, including aviation, catastrophic auto and trucking accidents, medical malpractice, inadequate security, defective products, and construction accidents. He has represented hundreds of clients across the state of North Carolina and other states where he has been specially admitted to practice for numerous cases. The results obtained for his clients are a testament to his dedication and determination. He has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for his clients, including some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the history of the State of North Carolina.
Tom received both his undergraduate and law degrees from Wake Forest University, graduating with honors. While a law student, Tom served on the Board of Editors of the Wake Forest Law Review and was a draftsman and research assistant for the compilation of North Carolina's inaugural Pattern Jury Instructions, which have since become a fixture in courtrooms across the state.
Since 1974, Mr. Comerford has practiced law in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in North Carolina, as well as the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. He has tried over 250 jury cases to verdict.
Mr. Comerford is a Fellow of The American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and a Diplomat of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He is also an active member of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and The American Association for Justice. He is a Master of the Bench, former president and current member of the Board of Directors for the Joseph Branch Inn of Court. He also serves as a trustee of the American Inns of Court. In addition, he is a member of the Lawyer Pilots Bar Association, a Permanent Member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, and currently serves as a delegate from North Carolina for the National Center of State Courts.
Mr. Comerford is a former member and past chair of the Wake Forest Law School Board of Visitors, has served on the Wake Forest University Deacon Club Board of Directors, and is also a past president of the Wake Forest Law Alumni Council. He is a recipient of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award and is listed with Best Lawyers in America and recognized as "Lawyer of the Year" multiple times. He is also listed by North Carolina SuperLawyers where he has been recognized as one of the top 10 lawyers in North Carolina. He is a frequent speaker at seminars dealing with trial practice and has been an adjunct faculty member of the Wake Forest Law School where he taught Advanced Trial Practice and frequently serves as a guest lecturer. Mr. Comerford has published over one hundred articles related to civil trial practice.
An active pilot, Mr. Comerford holds a commercial license with multi-engine and instrument ratings. He has accumulated more than 8,000 flight hours over his flying career. His practice has involved dozens of aviation cases. He has handled and tried numerous aviation accident cases as diverse as the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, commercial air crashes and general aviation accidents. In addition to aviation matters, his practice involves claims of medical negligence, product liability matters and trucking accidents, and other catastrophic injury cases, such as gas explosions and burn injuries.
Areas Of Practice
- Aviation Accidents
- Catastrophic Auto Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Inadequate Security
- Defective Products
- Construction Accidents
- Products Liability
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Rank of Diplomat
- American Inns of Court, Trustee
- American Association for Justice
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- North Carolina State Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, Member
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Permanent Member
- Joseph Branch Inn of Court, Master of the Bench, Board of Directors, Past President
- North Carolina Aeronautics Council, Division of North Carolina Department of Transportation, Member
- Wake Forest University and Wake Forest Law School, Former President and Member of the Law Alumni Council
- Wake Forest University and Wake Forest Law School, Former Chair and Member of the Law School's Board of Visitors
- National Center for State Courts