John Chilson joined our practice in May 2006 after gaining valuable litigation experience as a Navy JAG and as a civil litigator with two of North Carolina's well-known defense firms.
John focuses his current practice on representing victims of catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death from trucking accidents, inadequate security, and medical malpractice; and assisting veterans with disability claims. He also has substantial experience in the areas of criminal defense, commercial litigation, and appeals.
A graduate of the United States Naval Academy and the University of Michigan Law School, John was promoted to the rank of lieutenant commander in the twelve years he served on active duty as a naval officer. John's unique background includes tours of duty as a weapons officer and engineering officer on the USS DEYO (DD 989), as a counselor and leadership instructor at a college preparatory school, and as a military attorney in the Judge Advocate General Corps. After leaving active duty, John served as a JAG in the Naval Reserve for eight years and retired in 2011.
John has received the highest AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell, is listed in Best Lawyers in America in the categories of plaintiff's personal injury and medical malpractice litigation, is a North Carolina Super Lawyer in the area of plaintiff's personal injury law, and is listed in Marquis Who's Who in America. He is also active in a variety of professional organizations, including the North Carolina Advocates of Justice, where he serves a member of the Board of Governors, the North Carolina Bar Association, where he has served as a member of the Professionalism Committee, and the American Inns of Court.
John is accredited by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to practice Veterans Law and is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in North Carolina, the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
John spends much of his free time with his family enjoying outdoor activities and sporting events. John has coached a number of softball and baseball teams, including an all-star baseball team that won a state championship.
Areas Of Practice
- Plaintiff's Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Appellate Practice
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Constitutional Litigation
- Criminal Litigation
- Medical Malpractice Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Products Liability
- Veterans Law
- Michigan, 1999
- North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, 2014
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1999
- Honors: cum laude
- United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD
- B.S. - 1991
- Major: Economics
- Keeping Clean Waters Clean: Making the Clean Water Act's Antidegradation Policy Work, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, Vol. 32, 1999
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Present
- North Carolina Bar Association, Present
- American Inns of Court, Present